24 April 2003

::I hope you brought a snack or something because this is long::


I have decided to finally return to my blog. Man, it’s been a while. I’ve been so stupid busy. Sorry. But have I got some news for YOU (referring to me).

First: What a great weekend I had. I drove a car home for my dad that he bought up here in K-town. It’s a 2000 Mercury Sable that he bought for $3300! And apparently it’s mine now. So THAT’S cool. No, it’s not my dream car, but it’s SO much nicer than my ‘90 Accord. It’s going to be a bit sad leaving my Accord forever. I’ve done so much to and for it. I have added:

*an indiglo Honda emblem to trunk’s emblem space
*3 sets of fog lights (over the years) (most recently I added projector fog lights which I really dig.)
*blue LED parking lights
*blue LED windshield washer lights
*clear corner lenses
*blue indiglo pedals
*a blue Varad e.l. scanner
*a 12” Kicker Comp VR subwoofer (with 700 watt Kenwood amp)
*and a keyless entry / remote starter

I’ve also gone through the “xenon” bulbs, which are generally a load of crap and actually impair your night vision rather than improve. I finally got a set of Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for it. ANYwho…

I’m sort of not looking forward to leaving her. However . . . The Sable, like I said, is very nice. It has leather trim everywhere, a 6 disc CD changer under the armrest, an ARMREST, adjustable pedals, a very nice sound system (I don’t know if I’m going to be able to transfer my sub over to it or not), etc. Anyway, it’s real nice. AND quiet. I was actually able to listen to classical music on the way home on the interstate. It is virtually impossible to listen to classical music in my accord on the interstate because classical music (and other orchestrated music (i.e. movie scores)) is so dynamic that I would have to turn up the soft parts because I couldn’t hear them and then turn down the loud parts because, well, they’d be too loud. And I HATE adjusting the volume for that reason. You totally lose the effect that was intended.

Second: Now because of this experience on my way home, I have rediscovered my classical music! Oh man, I’ve missed you (referring to my classical music collection). My favorite pieces generally include a piano (not always true of course (“Emperor’s Hymn” by Haydn)). I’ve recently realized how amazing Chopin’s work is. And if you ask me, Mozart and Bach are pussies compared to Chopin and Rachmaninoff when it comes to piano. I’m not saying their stuff’s not good. No no no. In fact, I’m working on a piece by Bach right now called Prelude in C. It’s so pretty I could play it for hours, but on a difficulty scale from 1 to 10, it’s easy. However, something I just remembered; you HAVE to give Bach a hand for his organ pieces. Holy crap those are crazy. Okay, so that makes up for his piano pieces. So just Mozart’s a pussy (unless someone can prove otherwise). Which brings me to my third point… one of the greatest concertos for piano and orchestra ever written is “the rach” No. 3 by Rachmaninoff. Just incredible. Have you ever seen “Shine”? Yeah, it’s in that. This thing sounds more like a movie score at times than something you’d hear at the symphony. It also has one of the greatest finales I have ever heard. Oh, and it’s one of the hardest piano pieces ever written. Just watch the movie and you’ll see; trying to learn it makes you go crazy.

Another piece is Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 by Liszt. I don’t do much Liszt. I don’t know why, I just don’t. But this song! Amazing. I’ve seen the sheet music to this and it’s impossible. You can’t play it it’s that hard. (You probably heard this song in “Roger Rabbit”.)

Finally (for now): You’re lucky you’re reading this because I’m about to enlighten you on the controversial issue of…quick sand. I used to think that quick sand’s sucking you down characteristic (as seen in movies) wasn’t real. Because how could you sink in something more dense than water? Well, my 10th grade Biology teacher told me I was wrong and that it did in fact suck things in. Well I finally learned something during one of my engineering classes the other day (soil mechanics, to be more specific). I was RIGHT! All quick sand is is a sandy soil with an upward water force in it. This water spaces the soil particle out just enough so that they hardly touch. Therefore removing any shear strength the soil had. Now, a large object like a car or something would definitely sink because its specific gravity is way more than water, but ours generally isn’t (especially us husky folk). However, you can, in fact, sink because just like in water, if you struggle a lot rather than just breathing regular and floating, you will sink. The bottom line is this: If you ever find yourself in quicksand, just take in a deep breathe and you should pop right up to the surface. You’re welcome.

Okay it’s big time late now and I have a Hydrology test tomorrow (the 2nd of 2 exams (the first of which I screwed the pooch on)) and I need to do oh so well.

goodnight and goodmorrow to you.

Oh yeah, and I shaved for the first time since October, I think. I look retarded.

No comments: